Saturday, November 12, 2011

one day you'll read about yourself in my memoirs

oh yes...you will. All you funny zany people who come to my cafe in Barnes & Noble (because it is in fact, a B&N cafe...not a Starbucks : P )

So I decided that since we have real china mugs the correct sizes for our drinks, that we should save some paper cups and offer to have people drink their coffee from a real mug if they plan to stay in the store. We have a simple display showing the sizes, with a little sign saying "Go Green! Use a mug!" Somehow...this confuses people. They ask: "Does it cost more in the mug?", "Do we have to buy the mug?", "Can we take these home with us?"...and other similar questions. Why is it so difficult to understand that a restaurant has dishes you can eat and drink from and not take home with you or pay extra to use? Is that a new concept? Not the last time I checked. hehehe...cracks me up

Related to this, is the lady who stood near the counter talking to her friend while I made their drinks, and discussed how she felt (and hoped) the whole "Go Green" concept was "just a phase.".....huh?....

I mean, I know some industries are exploiting the environmental cause to make money...and that stinks, but seriously people...no matter what you feel about global warming (believe it or don't...doesn't really matter to me), you gotta realize we are trashing our planet (literally) and it if our efforts now our "just a phase" then the next phase is not looking too great.

aaaanyway...stepping off my soapbox now...didn't mean to get carried away...just thought ya'll might want a glimpse into my world. Retail is a fascinating anthropological study...lemme tell ya : )

No comments:

Post a Comment