Saturday, November 12, 2011

People

When I think about how vast and beautiful and varied our world is, I get frustrated that my view of so many people is jaded by everyday encounters. The beauty of the human spirit is not evident to me in the crazy drivers and sometimes moronic drones who come into my cafe. Contradictions seem to be prevalent in my life and this is one of them: I simultaneously hate people and love people.

Sometimes I go in to work thinking I will be positive and try to find something in each interaction with a customer which is positive or at least unique and which helps me understand and appreciate humanity. After awhile though, I get worn down by questions and rudeness and monotony. At least my regulars redeem the experience. I see these people multiple times a week...more than I see my family and some of my friends...and often I feel as though they are friends. I might not know all their names, but I know what they like to order and how to treat them the way they want to be treated. I know how to make them smile. That, at least, is a small part of what makes my day and my sometimes crappy job...worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment